Saturday, September 16, 2006

A writer's world, a world for the writing.

My friend Andrew once told me (paraphrasing from memory), "It's not that interesting things happen to writers more than anybody else, interesting things happen to everybody, every day. Writers are just people who happen to write it down." I must say that my old buddy really nailed it. We are all just souls at summer camp so we all get the near death canoe trip (ask Cindra about that one), the broken hearts and the stolen kiss by the lake-- not to mention poison oak, dysnetary and herpes. The best part is that we don't know what's coming next. As Camus said in The Stranger, "Throughout the whole absurd life I'd lived, a dark wind had been rising towards me from somewhere deep in my future, across years that were still to come, and as it passed, this wind leveled whatever was offered to me at the time..." So write on you bloggers. One absurd day at a time.

7 Comments:

At 11:34 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Some of us think like writers. Me for instance -- standing at the mailbox expecting to be devoured by an angry dag and part of me is already busy composing the story for my blog ....

 
At 11:35 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Tom. I tried very hard to make a decent blog for you, but your wife tied it to her account and I can't get her picture off your profile -- and I found you such a nice Taz.

 
At 2:19 PM , Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

Tom, I really enjoy your analogy of our all being "souls at summer camp" - I think YOU have nailed it! xoxoxo

 
At 3:02 PM , Blogger Nessa said...

Your camp reference made me think of an experience I had. I must go write about it.

 
At 7:15 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Ok, Cindra's picture is no longer where yours shoud be, but when I click "more" under your bio I still get Cindra's page. Do you?

 
At 8:05 PM , Blogger Gye Greene said...

Maybe writers just have a keener eye for the interesting buried within the mundane; or, they describe the mundane, such that it **becomes** intersting. ;)


--GG

 
At 8:20 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

Hi Gye,

Nice to hear from you. A keen eye for the straight guy, huh? I like it. I do think that writers have a talent for putting things in perspective so I agree with you on that. And if you are a writer you doing what quilldancer said above-- you're already writing when something interesting does happen to you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home