Tuesday, September 19, 2006

And now for something completely different...

Well, maybe we can't solve the world's problems with a blog (though sometimes I feel like we could do a better job than Blair and Bush). Like any greenhorn blogger, I suppose, I managed to cover religion and war in my first few days. Cindra is concerned that maybe I'm a bit too heavy for this crowd. You know, the irony is that in person I'm always out for a laugh (though rarely achieved-- my 14 year old daughter will certainly attest to that) and not that heavy of a person (except in pounds per square inch-- 5'6" and just over 200 lbs). I guess I feel that the fact that we are at war is pretty important, yet we are also at life. One day at a time. and for many of us, myself included most of the time, that is enough.

Unbeknownst to you new friends, I spend a fair amount of time in the middle east, specifically Saudi Arabia (I'll tell you all about it at some point I'm sure). I have been traveling there on business for just coming up on ten years and one of the things that has struck me over the years is that people are people, generally speaking. The majority of us, as far as I can see, don't want any hassles, don't want to kill anybody, would love it if other people would stop killing people and really just want to get back to our families at the end of the day and live our lives. Like I said, we are also at life.

So here's to you, livers of lives, dreamers of dreams, lovers of love. Here's a non-political day in my life:

It just started raining again here in the temperate rainforest of Oregon. Oregon. Just the word means "green." But we do have long, hot summers and when that switch is thrown ( and some years, like this one, it is just like a switch has been thrown by some elves in the night), Fall comes; the rain comes. Today I walked out of the open garage doors of the shop and just smelled the new rain-- the forest duff (It's like a forest every where you turn in suburban Eugene) parched from months of sun, released a pungent, damp smell, almost like cow manure. It may not sound too palatable, but to me it was a glorious smell, rising from the earth all around me. It was life.

I would love to hear your Fall thoughts....

Tom

5 Comments:

At 6:31 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Fall thoughts? Las Vegas has 9 months of summer and 3 months of blowing sand. I have been here 10 years and 46 days. I don't remember Fall.

There is something I remember about my 7 years in the Portland/Vancouver area -- all that Oregon green is mold -- from all that Oregon rain ...

;)

 
At 8:14 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

QD,

You kill me. Perhaps I should rephrase my request for Fall thoughts to people who are not "Fall challenged." From summer to sand storms, eh? Well, the desert must have its seasons as well. I know that Saudi does, however subtle.

You never answered me about what you teach, etc. You can always e-mail about that if you don't want to reveal too much over the web. We educators have to stick together. TM

 
At 10:06 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Tom, I included the answer to your question in my current post, because I figured if you were wondering others might be, too. Btw, you'll love my current post -- it was one of those rare and special moments of mayhem that make life fun.

 
At 12:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really should post some pictures of the mural in Saudi Arabia, Tom... It's so beautiful. I just realized it will be time for you to go there again before we know it.

 
At 6:53 AM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Oh, yeah -- fall happened last night at my house. I actually gotr cold and had to go in search of blankets. I put them away so long ago I wasn't even certain they existed. Winter will be here when I actually have to crank up the furnace.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home