Thursday, September 21, 2006

Hello all ye good folks of blog land. I have been slammed up against a deadline to get something done for the annual faculty show. Every year I say that I'm not going to let that creep up on me and every year I go nights without sleep to put something together. The good news is that I'm having fun as we built the screen print studio this summer so for the first time I'm going to use my skills as a commercial screen printer to do some fine art. Something that I've been wanting to do for a long time. And I'm loving it. My screens are burned, I'm mixing ink and will have a fun night of seeing something conceived in the mind be printed on fabric (I bought some canvas and will be trying to print on that, then stretch it onto a frame for hanging). This year's theme is "Art as Activism," and so it is a subject very dear to my heart. I have been thinking about doing a series of unsung heros and martyrs of the twentieth century for some time and this was just the impetus I needed to see that through. I chose Rachel Carson as my first subject. I call it my Rachel Carson Shrine ala Rauschenberg meets Warhol-- with Northwest/Oregon organic colors on organic, unbleached canvas. I think I covered all the bases. below is a comp made from the computer created separations..



Well I'm back to the studio. Wish me luck! Cheers, Tom

5 Comments:

At 8:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

she is my hero. go, tom!

 
At 8:52 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

This is a stunning visual; a fitting tribute to an incredible lady.

 
At 10:42 PM , Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

You go, boy! You are sooooo talented and can do anything you want to do - and fantastically.

 
At 11:09 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Nice job Tom, it shows much talent...

 
At 7:16 PM , Blogger Gye Greene said...

Good stuff!


--GG

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home