Monday, October 23, 2006

cheaters and heartbreak

My schedule is crazy from Sunday night until Wednesday, but of course the good part is that I am done with any out-of-the-house work at noon on Wednesday (this does not preclude in house work, but that's different). I mentioned in an earlier blog that I am working in a new program that I helped to create, in a new capacity which is great. Only, there is almost no curriculum available since I invented the class and have to create it all myself from scratch-- I try to use other people's stuff or text books that come with CDs and assignments but I just can't do it. I always have to make it my own. So I scramble and I write (four hours of lecture and four hours of lab work per week). It's a labor of love, but the operative word here is labor.

But tonight, after a major marathon of class material prep and writing the midterm I gave this morning, I decided to take a break and chill in my robe, play Bazza's quiz and generally dip back into the global friendspace.

After reading Quilldancers blog about her test, I had to convey one of the weird things that happened to me in grading my first graphic design project this week: Two people cheated.

I gave them an assignment in a page layout program where I give them the raw components--some digital images that are very large and have to be sized down and placed into a string of frames, some text in Word and a set of instructions also in Word. I also give them, only on the first assignment, an example, in the same program, that they can use to see how I constructed mine. I give them a speech that I only give them this one example in the same program that they are using on the first assignment because it is difficult the first time they use the program again after the Summer break. After that I give them a PDF file that will show them how an assignment looks but they cannot "strip it for parts." I told them that unforunately due to the fact that there has been cheating in the past I have had to resort to this, as much as I would love to give them as much information as they need to do the best job that they can.

After that speech, I figured there wouldn't be any cheaters trying to turn my own example back in renamed as their own. Plus the fact that I know these guys, they are in their second year, juried in, on track for their degree.

So I'm going through this first project, pulling them up one at a time and they are all designed to look like mine, but it's amazing how accurate the human eye is-- I can tell that they are different. It's like, give someone a picture of cut out shapes of paper arranged into a collage, then give them the same colored paper and ask them to cut out their own and paste them up. They won't be exactly the same as the picture but very similar. There are differences in proportion, but when there isn't... it was amazing-- it was like hearing a chord and knowing that it was the same chord you had just heard. I opened up a file and this person had put all kinds of different fonts surrounding the string of resized images to disguise it, but the sequence of images just struck me. I had seen that proportion before. So I simply clicked on one of the images, brought up the info palette which told me the exact dimensions of the image to ten thousands of an inch, opened my example, clicked on the same image and I'll be damned-- exactly the same. I went through all of the placed images and they were all the same dimensions down to ten thousands of an inch. So I marked a "see me" down, I was a a little disappointed and about 6 assignments later there it was again! The bells were ringing, the chord was playing.

So, in lab while people were working I called the students up one by one to go over their projects and grades while people were working on the new project and when I got to cheater number one I explained very quietly the fact that I have info in my files that serve as saferguards against anyone using the stuff I provide... then asked, do you know why I'm telling you this? "Because I used your file." "Because you used my file. You can't use my file for your assignment." To keep this short, he got a 0 but I told him that if he did the assignment over he could get half the alotted points for that assignment which was better than a 0 but still an F (50%). The second person came up and I got as far as "You know my images have measurements that are down to ten thousand of an inch.." and she just said bluntly "I cheated." "Yeah, you cheated." Same speech followed but man, I was shocked and dismayed that that is how we started the term off. What a bummer.

Just had to get that off my chest.

Peace, Tom out

12 Comments:

At 3:45 AM , Blogger Nessa said...

It's sad, but some people are so used to trying the easy way out.

 
At 6:46 AM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

No remorse? I had a kid steal an eraser off my desk. No biggie -- 30 cents of rubber, but what might he steal next? I confronted him and asked for the eraser back. His response as he handed it to me? "I didn't know you were looking." See, it is only wrong if they get caught.

But what change do the kids have? Last year I actually had a parent say to me, "Just because my daughter tells lies is no reason to not believe her."

 
At 11:32 AM , Blogger Bazza said...

It sounds to me like Quilldancer is saying it's the parents fault. I may have misinterpreted that but if I'm right, I totally agree with her. Standards just seem to be lowered constantly, but I'm sounding like my Dad now.

 
At 2:55 PM , Blogger Kat Campbell said...

That's so discouraging, after you pour your heart into teaching them, they still try to take the easy way. At least it was only 2, it could have been worse!

 
At 5:01 PM , Blogger Gye Greene said...

Creating your course from scratch: I'm the same way. Haven't yet found a textbook that lays stuff out in the same way I do, in a sufficently similar order. I end up assembling reading packets.

At least once you've assembled it, you have it lined up for next year... ;)


Cheaters: Yeah; I used to Google random phrases from term papers. One person copied and pasted the first half of her paper from one website, and the second half from another. I suspected her 'cause the writing style didn't sound like an undergraduate -- and the focus of the paper was tangental from the assigment's goal.


--GG

 
At 11:15 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

QD and Bazza: Yeah, it could be parental to some extent. Of all the rules in this house, telling a lie ranks as number one on the bad list. After that it's hitting. Trust is hard to rebuild once it's broken.

Kat: yeah, but two out of 23 is a pretty high percentage! It's especially discouraging because I know these people so well. I know I shouldn't, but I feel like it's one of my own kids cheating.

GG, great to hear from you. Sounds like you know what I mean. Yeah, I do the reading packet things as well and now I'm compiling a bunch of it and re-writing it as a text book. So, like you said, it's not wasted work if you re-use it. Can't wait for next year when I don't have to do all that again.

 
At 9:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey HOney-I'm glad you are processing it out here and getting feedback...I know how much it gets under your skin and hurts...dishonesty just sucks so much.

You are an awesome daddy and teacher. And husband too! I love you, Shrek. good for you to share!

 
At 5:03 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Another note on cheating -- one of my kids who always seems to come in at the bottom of the bell curve did particularily horrible. I could see eraser marks on the correct answers. At one point he'd had tthem marked. I called him up and asked him to explain the changes.

Are you ready for this? My class took the test one day behind another 5th grade, so a student from that other class was sent in to make up the test with my kids. I sat that student near my struggler.

Now, my struggler had really studied for a change, but he was so used to being wrong, that he decided not to trust himself and to copy the paper of the other kid, who hadn't bothered to study or pay attention in class, so tried to get out of taking the test by staying home.

Lesson: If you aren't smart enough to score well on your own, don't compound your stupidity by copying the paper of an even greater idiot.

 
At 8:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I can FEEL your disappointment. BUT... I'm sure you did some good calling them on it and continuing forth. Human nature sometimes is not a beautiful sight. Forge onward, the world needs more teachers like you!!

 
At 9:51 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

Especially when being smart is so easy. You just think of something stupid and do the opposite. Then you're smart.

 
At 4:28 AM , Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

Tom, it's so nice that you love what you do and that you care so much. And just too bad that people have to cheat. Isn't it good, though, that the ones that try to -aren't smart enough to?!?! Love you. xoxoxo

 
At 10:38 AM , Blogger Louisiana said...

it is wonderful how much heart you put into everything you tackle. don't let them discourage you or take the pride that you should feel for a great job...

i'm sorry that many think of taking the easy way out as the first route...i hope it doesn't repeat itself but it might. the world is filled with all sorts..but look at your own family and see that you are making a difference.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home