Monday, October 09, 2006

A little light ...

There's so much I want to say about the North Korean nuclear test, the sharp rise in U.S. soldier casualties in Iraq, the way that the government spin would rather let us know that 2700 US soldiers have died in the war than let us know that 20,000 soldiers have been injured; about Rumsfeld changing his tune and wanting to increase troops instead of maintaining a leaner, more technologically efficient army and his request for 10s of billions more in the budget this year than last for the war. That's just todays paper. But that's about all I can muster. Somedays you just don't have it in you to go there. You just have to shrug, shake your head and go for a walk and look at some trees.

What I want to do is give all of you wonderful people that I have met through this cyber experiment a big old cyber hug in a time when we could all use a little light. We are this collective of made up names with invented icons, school teachers and gardeners, cynics and saps, satirists and storytellers and we drop in from time to time for a chat. We provide our own tea. In one of my moments of silent exasperation over the daily news I went looking for some music on You Tube and through a random mix of searches came across two old men, a couple of musicians that I had no idea ever mixed their unique musical talents together, performing a song, live, that I was meant to hear. It made me smile. So simple and poignant and perfect. So, in the hope that it might make your day just a little brighter, here is Randy Newman on piano and Peter Gabriel on vocals with a small orchestra singing a song called "That'll Do." Enjoy.

10 Comments:

At 10:31 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Hey, I came by earlier and listened to the song and left feeling so mellow I forgot to wave.

waves

 
At 6:21 AM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

I just re-read the post while not similtaneously listening to the music, and now I have a question; who is the sap?

 
At 8:17 AM , Blogger Just Tom said...

QD, I was talking about me for writing the post-- giving you guys a big ole cyber hug. awwww.

 
At 12:43 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Tom, I was teasing. I don't believe I ever read anything without reading between the lines -- even when nothing is written there.

 
At 4:19 PM , Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

Tom, you'll get use to her. Most of us read the black on the paper. Quilly reads the white! Love you.

 
At 4:39 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Jackie, very well put! You know, I love my family. Is it any wonder I have a way with words. Look at my role models!

 
At 8:23 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

Hi Larry,

Yeah, YouTube was in the news today. The guys that invented just sold it to Google for $1.6 Billion. Not a small amount of change.

And the other timely thing was your comment about money driving politics. I just got notified of a screening on a documentary that's just out that was made by a soldier and I guess it's about how the soldiers get sold down the river for corporate interests. When I try to put the link in here it just wipes out my other text for some reason. So it will be in the next comment...

 
At 8:23 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

http://pol.moveon.org/event/events/index.html?action_id=59&id=9049-6557067-fPq52za3VCdxcoJTyjPMkA&t=3

 
At 8:23 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

not sure it's all there so I'll e-mail it to you.

 
At 8:23 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Hey, my white space reading didn't chase you away? Missing you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home