Friday, October 13, 2006

The Winners of Tom's Challenge # 4

Hello all and thanks for participating in the most difficult challenge yet. First the answers:

1. The mysterious group was the Rosicrucians ( or the Brotherhood of the Rosy Cross)
2. The Scholar of old was Christian Rosenkreuz
3. And the founders published their manifesto, Fama Fraternitatis, in 1614

And the winners are:

First place: Quilldancer, who managed to pull the Rose and the Cross from the Sean Connery movie, "Name of the Rose." She said she got lucky and had done caretaking for a woman who watched TV 24/7 and had seen the movie a bunch of times. she says, "lucky," but as she has won several of my challenges, I don't think it's luck at all. I think she's damn smart!

Second place: Goes to Jackie's Garden. I think this deserves special applause because she didn't have the flash of a movie to send her in the right direction and did hours of research and came up with all three answers before the clue was put up! That was no easy feat and at one point Jackie declared she didn't want to play any more (but I hope she does). She really did an amazing research job to pull that rabbit out of the hat. Great job, Jackie!

And Third place goes to Goldennib who managed to get the Rosicrucians, the date 1614, but guessed, the ancient scholar was Francis Bacon (not a bad guess at all). I'd like to mention here that not only did she get third place, but she should be proud of the fact that nobody else even submitted an answer besides these three. So this was a tough one. Good Job!

So, here's to the winners three. I hope you feel especially proud because I went to much greater lengths to make this challenge difficult, googled the stuff that I posted and reworded things to make it less googleable. But the two sisters, Quilly and Jackie, got the answers within hours. You guys are amazing!

The Rosicrucians were an exciting mystery during the 17th century as they published anonymously, saying that they lived among the population of any given city, could be your next door neighbor, blended like an alien race into society but held an almost Demi-God (that was the term that was used)-like knowledge of science and magic and met secretly to further humanity and to solve the problems of the world.

In the comments, I mentioned Descartes a couple of times as I came across their fascinating story in an equally fascinating book, called "Descartes' Secret Notebook," by Amir D. Aczel-- almost a very real Davinci Code. Truth being stranger than fiction, the adventures of Descartes and his contemporaries are quite amazing and due to the discovery of a single, quickly scrawled copy of Descartes secret notebook, which he had instructed his heir never to show to anyone upon his death, the author explores, among many things, the issue of whether or not Descartes was a Rosicrucian.

If that sort of thing is your cup of tea, this book is new, I bought it this summer while visiting Jackie and is probably pretty easy to find. As I said in some of the comments flying around during the contest, Descartes is the root of so much of who we are today. My father told me that he was watching a show where a group of nobel prize winners were round table discussing various topics and the question was put to them what they thought the greatest inventions of all time were and one of them thought for while and said, "the scientific method." So, there ya go. As we are all Cartesian, at least here in the West, if you haven't checked out the man who gave us "I think therefore I am, " and the fact that the existence of "imperfection" implies the existence of "perfection" and hence is proof that God exists, you might want to check him out.

Cheers and see you in the blogosphere.

22 Comments:

At 10:04 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Tom, that was fun. I like winning. Pity it will all come to a crashing end soon and you'll all find out how truly average I really am.

 
At 10:16 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

I don't think that will happen. Instead you have raised my bar and push me to make the challenge challenging but not so difficult that it just isn't fun-- Like the New York Times crossword on like Friday. I make it to Thursday and then it just pisses me off until Monday comes around.

Anyway, you make the challenge challenging for me to create. And I like a challenge.

 
At 10:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I hear your wife is really intelligent, (and I just thought she was only beautiful!), so why don't you let her play? I just don't get it, dude. Are you sure you even deserve her? Doesn't seem like you really appreciate her intellect and outgoing nature. She's a darlin'. Get a clue, dude.

 
At 10:44 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

LOL! Anonymous, modest, too.

 
At 11:03 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

Look, I don't know who you are, "anonymous," but my wife was in a terrible accident and has been in a coma for four years. So, I don't think this is very funny, whoever you are. Now I'm cyring.... I hope your happy, you sick, sick person.

 
At 11:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which ONE of your three wives, you sick, sick polygamist bastard?

 
At 11:14 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

hey, you're just jealous. Just because two of them are Japanese twins-- and you like that sort of thing don't you, you sick, sick bastard.

 
At 11:17 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Tom, I came back to ponder your "you have raised my bar and push me to make the challenge challenging but not so difficult that it just isn't fun" comment -- so, who is it this challenge is challenging? And was that it's original design?

I am a little worried about posting here, though. You seem to be in the middle of some kind of heated discussion with Anonymous. I'll leave you two in privacy ....

 
At 11:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is sick about liking that? Hello? You really are a sick freak.

 
At 7:21 AM , Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

Tom, thanks for the challenge. I must admit, it was a little tiny bit interesting. Hard to believe I worked so hard on it - and Quilly Sister knows the answers from a movie! I'm going to have to start reading better stuff, or start watching movies!

P.S. anonymous is a little irritating...you do know you can erase her, don't you? errrr, I mean 'him' or whatever.

 
At 7:38 AM , Blogger Kat Campbell said...

Okay, I admit it. I'm stupid. I didn't even get close to guessing this. I don't feel worthy to even read the responses....

 
At 8:36 AM , Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

Kat, you aren't stupid! I could have never 'guessed' it either...I spent over 2-1/2 hours on #$*&@! computer research before I found it! In fact, I kept wondering WHY I kept looking - it isn't like I cared. Just the challenge, I guess. I'm not stupid - just stubborn.

 
At 8:41 AM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Jackie, stubborn is why I won Brooke's challenge. I kept yelling, "I quit!" but I just couldn't bring myself to stop looking.

 
At 8:43 AM , Blogger Just Tom said...

I have to concur with Jackie. this is a how-fast-can-you-research game of trying different threads of the story in the google machine and seeing if you can tie it all together. Even Quilly, regining champ of the Challenge was asking for a clue on this one, initially, until she found a clue lodged in her head.

I only discovered the Rosicrucians recently because I stumbled upon them doing research on something else.

 
At 10:00 AM , Blogger Louisiana said...

hello Tom. this is pretty interesting to me for my grandma has always been a Rosicrucian. Since i was a little girl..He wouldn't talk about it much for she said their teachings were more private and it wasn't until i was an adult that i started to realize it was not part of the Catholic religion. when i was little i used to get on a continuos basis stories..they come maybe once a a wk, i'm not sure..they were just beautiful stories with morals and values underlyining them but nothing more..i had so many of them and for sure came with me when i moved to Miami...it was not only we moved here that i saw them for the last time. to this day i don't know where they went..my suspicion is that she had taken them back...the instructions were never, ever to share those stories with anyone else. she said that they were different stories for different people..she used to read hers too but were of her age she said..kinda confusing i'm sure..

i remember once going to their 'church, meeting place' and dont' much remember details but the privacy is one thing they held close to their hearts..she has a ring from them, she got up pretty high..we don't talk about it much since i came here...i hadn't thought of it in so long until i read your post..i wonder if i will ask her about this again, my memories are fuzzy with this for sure..

 
At 11:42 AM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Wow! Chana gets more and more interesting every day!

 
At 12:08 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

Woow Chana, indeed! In some of the material I read it was speculated that the order had ended but that had been started back up in the 19th Century-- and of course, being primarily secret (however, it was written into their charter, from what I understand, to eventually reveal themselves) it was also speculated that we would not know if they ended or not. I do know from googling my own challenge that there are Rosicrucians today.

I don't know what you Grandparetns would feel comfortable revealing or what you would be comfortable revealing but it would be great to get some little snippet from an actual Rosicrucian.

Another thing you said was rather telling, you said, "she has a ring from them, she got up pretty high." And this hits home on two levels, One, that in the challenge I left blank the initals R.C. that they were supposed to have on them (described in the 17th century as a hidden seal) and in some of my research it described graduating to higher levels, where more and more of the ancient secrets collected through the ages were revealed to you.

I would sure like to know more but would not want to infringe on anyone's rights. Wahtever you can tell us we are all ears and this is a pretty small forum.

Thanks for sharing that, Chana!

Wow.

 
At 8:15 AM , Blogger Bazza said...

Just dropping by to say I enjoyed the challenge even though I failed to complete due to time and patience.

 
At 10:35 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

Wow wow wow. This stuff is intensely fascinating.

Especially the bit that Chana contributed...actually knowing a real-life Rosicrucian...

 
At 11:02 PM , Blogger Logophile said...

Oooooo,
I missed this, looks fun, and challenging!
Congrats to your winners,
Ladies, you are amazing!

 
At 10:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, it's been, like, a week, or something and you still have thought up a frickin' new game? What's up? Can't think of any clever stuff? hmmmm? Show us what you got, dude...and if yer a real man, you'll let your wife participate.

 
At 10:32 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

LOL! That anonymous sure is aggressive and pushy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home