Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Zip, Bam, boom!

First week of classes, Cindra's out of town at a conference so single parenting three, dogsitting one, and getting the car towed that blew a radiator the other day. The first time I looked up at the clock tonight it was ten o'clock. My first class is at 8AM and there are three kids to get sorted out somehow before that. Skye Bonnie will get dropped off at daycare at 7:30, the other two, whose (is that a word, looks funny) schools start at 9:00 will be dropped off at a coffee shop that is next door to their schools (fortunately the middle school and high school are a block apart) with some cash and I will hopefully meet my bright eyed and bushy tailed students at 8 AM across campus from the parking lot. We all have days like this, so not trying for sympathy here, just blogging. I guess that's what this thing is for. A not-so-personal diary.

On a more interesting or noteworthy note (somewhat redundant, no time for picky editing here) I have a rather unique situation for my teaching career: I have the exact same group of students for all my classes this term and possibly for the entire year. To Quilldancer this may not seem like such a novel thing, but this is college. How could this be? Well I teach in a small Graphic Design program at a community college and last year I was sort of promoted (I don't get any more pay just more responsibility) to take the students that get accepted into the second year of the program (it's a two year GD program and you have to submit a portfolio at the end of the first year to be accepted into the second year due to the fact that there are only so many positions available) through the production part of the program. There are essentially two aspects to Graphic design: design theory and production. Previously I was the boot camp guy, filling in for upper division here and there but mostly taking in the freshman, running them randomly en masse through art 101, basic design 115, drawing 131, etc. which feeds into sculpture, multi-media, studio art, graphic design, etc. But, this year I get to take the second year Graphic Design students through all of the 200 level classes and through to the graduation ceremony at the end of the year. I also teach at a four year University and I've always thought that it was kind of sad that I might have a student for two or three classes in four years, just enough to kind of get to know them and then they disappear into the world. But a full year of seeing these guys through and going through commencement is going to be a different thing altogether. So, it's an exciting year.

Well that's it from this end. Gotta tend to getting kids into bed. After that I'll cruise my friends blogs, drop in to say hi before crashing out into nervous sleep.

Peace,

Just Tom

6 Comments:

At 12:27 AM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Tom, I went to college in Lewiston, Idaho -- graduating from Lewis-Clark State college -- a highly respected "naormal school" since the 1800s. My student teaching "cadre" was put together our last year and we took all of our classes in blocks. We were together for the entire last year of college. It was a pretty awesome experience. We were the first class to go through the program that way and there were fewer dreop outs (one) than in any previous year -- mostly due to bonding and peer support.

The one drop out missed class frequently and pretty much refused to bond with anyone. The rest of us made friends we still have today -- 10 years later -- and connected with our teachers differently than ever before. It was a very enriching experience. I wish you that same blessing (uhm, without the kid that skips every class).

 
At 12:29 AM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

hmmm -- Normal School; drop outs -- typing class was optional, perhaps I should have taken it .... pft

 
At 2:34 AM , Blogger Nessa said...

It helps to know others "out there" go through the same things. Makes those hectic days a little easier.

 
At 7:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great 1st day of classes, favorite brother-in-law o' mine! I happen to know your students really admire you and enjoy your classes. And like my auntie, I too went through the whole 4 years (stretched to 5) of college with the same group of students. We started out taking the same pre-requisites and then went on the core nursing classes together. We did form some strong bonds that way.

 
At 8:35 AM , Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

Tom, I am SO happy you are blogging.Even with the endless phone calls our family makes (we're all so lucky to have cells) there is much that doesn't get shared. By the time my little Cindra and I tell each other where we are, and catch up on the kiddies - I don't hear much of your thoughts and feelings. I'm really enjoying your blog

Am happy you are excited about the new teaching format. And just happy you are excited. Life is great, isn't it?!
Love,
mother-in-law

 
At 2:08 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

Quilldancer, Brooke, thanks for the kind words of encouragement and comparisons to what it's like at least from the student side. I happened to have had all but 2 of these students in one of the classes I taught last year and so we actually had a little momentum from day one. The first class was like a reunion and we have the rest of the school year to look forward to.

The other awesome part of the community college experience is that these are almost all "adults." By this I mean people with kids, have had previous careers (I have one elementary school teacher looking for a change-- not sure how old she is but she told me today she has been married for 27 years and has a 24 year old daughter) and people who are looking for a second chance in life (drugs, troubles of various kinds). but everyone is nice to everyone else in this group and it warms my heart. So much more so than the cookie-cutter, doe-eyed freshman at OSU. These are real people.

And yeah, Jackie, I feel like we are having more bonding time together this way,more so than the few times a year we see each other. So, how 'bout that?

And Goldennib, that's the other aspect of the blogosphere-- we're not alone and we can all relate to those things we have in common. so, Cheers!

Cheers to all!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home