Thursday, September 28, 2006

Bush vows to keep doing the wrong thing until...it..is the right thing

With the emergence of that latest bi-partisan intelligence report that cites the war in Iraq as the "cause celebre" for Jihadists along with such observations as "anti-US and anti-globalization is on the rise and fueling other radical ideologies" and many other, well if you've been reading my blogs, predictable assessments (you can read what has been declassified here www.registerguard.com/intelbrief), Bush has come out to say that he will continue to fight until he wins. Let's review: The war is causing more terrorists, breeding a wider range of anti-US sentiment, making it, according to the report, more likely that terrorism will hit the homeland and Bush's response is to do more of the same. It reminds me of the saying an old friend of mine used (don't know if he made it up but it sounded like one of those clever cliches of old) when he was frustrated by the company he was working for: "you can't lose a penny on the dollar and make it up in volume." Well, George, your digging through a pile of horse manure that is now up to your neck and your still saying, "there's gotta be a pony in here somewhere!"

One of the things the report did say, that falls closer in line with the earlier post of mine, "Ok Mr. Smarty pants, what do we do, then?" is that since the majority of muslims are peaceful and do not support the violent measures of the Jihadists, then the best possiblity of weakening extremism is through the lack of support from the larger muslim community (in other words muslims need to solve muslim problems). The reason I feel this relates to the above-mentioned post is that the report also suggests that by angering the muslims that should be on the side of anti-terrorism through our meddling tactics we are preventing this from happening. The report reads: "Four underlying factors are fueling the spread of the Jihadist movement: (1) Entrenched grievances, such as corruption, injustice, and fear of Western domination, leading to anger, humiliation, and a sense of powerlessness; (2) the Iraq "Jihad;" (3) the slow pace of real and sustained economic, social and political reforms in many Muslim majority nations; and (4) pervasive anti-US sentiment among most muslims-- all of which Jihadists exploit."

So, George, Lord knows that you, of all people, need an "intelligence committee" so why oh why discard their report? But who am I to make such hard judgements on our commander and chief? Don't take my word for it. How about you take the word of this guy and his 415 friends: excerpt from an article by Princeton University History Professor Sean Wilentz: "Now, though, George W. Bush is in serious contention for the title of worst(president)ever. In early 2004, an informal survey of 415 historians conducted by the nonpartisan History News Network found that eighty-one percent considered the Bush administration a "failure." Among those who called Bush a success, many gave the president high marks only for his ability to mobilize public support and get Congress to go along with what one historian called the administration's "pursuit of disastrous policies." In fact, roughly one in ten of those who called Bush a success was being facetious, rating him only as the best president since Bill Clinton -- a category in which Bush is the only contestant."

You can view the entire article about why he thinks George W. Bush is a good candidate for the worst president in American history at www.rollingstone.com/news/profile/story/9961300/the_worst_president_in_history

It's actually quite entertaining reading while at the same time very cautious in its assessment. well, there's my rant for today. I guess it's Tom's war rant day. Gotta pick up the thread sometime. I'd love to hear from a Bush supporter who can give a concise and intelligent comment on how Bush is a good president and how his policies are working. "Is anybody out there?" Peace, Tom

19 Comments:

At 12:26 AM , Blogger Bazza said...

Probably not fair for me to comment, but the general opinion over here is very similiar to yours. I can't wait for someone to come along and try to defend him, I need a good laugh.

 
At 1:01 AM , Blogger Rob said...

I think most Americans have seen the truth about Iraq since shortly after the removal of Saddam Hussein. Common sense should have told our leadership that you can not force an entirely new way of life on any nation or culture... but I suppose common sense is a bit much to expect of Bush.

 
At 6:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tom, just surfed in here via Bazza's blog. Great to hear some anti-Bush common sense from Oregon, a place I know well. Will keep on checking u out.

Best,

Lozman

 
At 6:51 AM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Okay, folks, let'sd think back to the very first questionable election -- Bush threw a tempertantrum on TV. I knew everything I needed to know about his ability to make rational decisions right then.

 
At 7:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, reading this made me think of a saying I heard I don't remember where or when but it goes something like this... The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

 
At 7:20 AM , Blogger Just Tom said...

Bazza, I'm not sure in the small sphere of my little blog if I'll find anyone to do that. I could always send an e-mail to Major Dad and invite him but I think he got beat up enough from that post at Sar's.

Rob, nice to have you come by. Yeah, for many of us it didn't take long to see the future and to address QD, for some of us it was even before the election... but the election was very telling.

Eldred Jiggle, Welcome! So, how do you know Oregon so well? If you don't mind telling me. Ironically, being from Oregon, one of the few British places I happen to have been is Bazza's Hull and vicintity. Small world phenomenon strikes again.

 
At 7:28 AM , Blogger Just Tom said...

Brooke, good one! I think one of the things I like about all these sage-like sayings is that they do contain a lot of wisdom in a very few words and are far too often quite true.

 
At 12:24 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

You need a Southern Baptist, I guess. Today on the radio the guy said the only large religious group still wholly behind Bush is the SBC.

 
At 12:46 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

Okay, amongst the collective we have here, somebody must know somebody who might want to join in here that has a supportive stance on Bush.

Rules of engagement: We will promise to be nice to this person, listen as objectively as we can and respond without insult. Maybe if we make that pledge to whomever they might consider comenting. I doubt Major Dad will be back. TM

 
At 2:00 PM , Blogger The amoeba said...

So, election day is in just over a month.

Not one standing Republican will win election to Congress? Right??

What's that? Current projections are that Republicans will retain control of both houses?

And we sit here talking to ourselves? Calling Bush and the neocons dumb ... ?

 
At 3:41 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

alright, OO Kelly! Bring it!

So, what's up with that? Hey, if you wouldn't mind, let me know your source on that. I get the NY Times via e-mail every morning and what they have been saying is that there are "possibilities" for the Democrats to change the landscape but that they need 6 seats to get a majority. The article goes on to say that even the Democrats admit that this is unlikely, since it amounts to every contested race, but it is certainly looking like a shift.

What more can you tell us about the race. Let's look a that.

 
At 10:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, I keep waiting for that supportive stance...checking back...still nothing here. I'm interested in hearing the other side. You go for the tough ones!
xoxoxo

 
At 11:10 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

hmmm. Somebody got a friend....? there's got to be another side to this. Some polls have the Bush approval rate in the 40th percentile. So 4 out of 10 people agree with the president...?

 
At 3:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tom,

Spent six weeks road tripping thru Oregon en route from San Fran to Vancvouver. Some very good friends of mine are in Portland, and we did the whole Crater Lake, Bend, Klamath Falls, Mount Hood experience. Amazing places. I even did a stint at the Oregonian newspaper! But what brought you to mine and Bazzza's Hull - the Nashville of the UK?

Best,

Eldred (Loz)

 
At 6:16 AM , Blogger Just Tom said...

I carved out a niche in the design world that mixes marine sience and art-- like, marine biology illustration and oceanographic illustration, etc. and met a bunch of guys at a new aquarium job site in Saudi Arabia who built aquariums (more specifically life support system for aquariums). They were located near Hull-- like Barrow on Humber or something, North Lincolnshire and many of them lived in Hull and commuted to work. The company was called IAT (Intensive Aquaculture Technology then, they changed the meaning of the acronym now, can't remember...). Anyway, we teamed on a couple of projects and I visited their site a couple of times, saw the big bridge at Hull, etc. Didn't spend much time in Hull proper as they were located in the countryside. Beautful area, that countryside, reminded me of the Willamette Valley,actually.

IAT later moved to Wales and set up a turbot farm there. But, they are still alive and well. I haven't made it to Wales to visit my friends from the company yet.

Well I'm off to the airport to see an Aquarium client in California, actually... So I'll be out of the loop until tomorrow night (which means nearly nothing to this eclectic, international group).

Peace.

 
At 9:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, I love you, but all family ties and kissy, huggy things aside....Negativity can only go so far and then it becomes ..... what? whining?
Bush bashing is a waste of time. Solutions.....solutions.....solutions!!!
How many people do you need to hear say Bush is leading us astray? How is that helping? You already have the facts and the figures.....4 out of 10 agree with the way he is running the country 6 out of 10 think Bush is making mistake after mistake on a daily basis. I for one hear that. I dont need to hear it 60 different ways.......in 60 different blogspot messages to get it. I already got it!! As has most of the people I know.....so how about you write about some solutions----ask for some solutions----have people work hard and long for a productive enlightened future instead of spending time and energy Bush-bashing.......being redundant and unproductive!!! But pleasing the 4 out of 10, belonging to the elite group of the 4 out of 10 that spend their time and energy patting each other on the back because they all agree on the Bush-bashing. You are all taking the easy way out on a very complex and challenging subject. Work towards something!!! Don't pile the crap higher in the pasture next to his looking for the mate to his pony.

 
At 11:29 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

Hi Auntie Caryl!

I applaud you for speaking your mind and have been waiting for someone to take me to the mat on... just about anything. Here here, about the whining and not having a solution (though you did get your facts reversed, it's 6 out of 10, depending on the poll but close to that, that disagree with Bush. His ratings have been as low as in the 30s percentile-- an approval rate that historically speaking no president has ever recovered from-- but are back up a bit now in the 40s),

Ironically, I spent the weekend in California on business thinking about that very thing: What is the solution? Now, I don't know how long you have been reading my blog but I did already put a proposed solution out there in my blog "Okay, Mr. Smarty pants, What the Hell do We Do Then?"

Since then I have continued to ponder: what is the way of peace through this problem? And I have another proposed peace plan that I will put forth for all to dissect and criticize, soon. I've been asked to be Sar's guest on Belle of the Brawl and I thought I'd debut some ideas about a different path that I was led to by the Intelligence report featured in my last blog at that time.

I think the intelligence report did give us useful information, I was just upset that Bush didn't care to use it. I, for one, feel that the intelligence report could be the basis of a new approach to this problem. All of the information is there, waiting to be turned into something good, like the coccoon before the butterfly.

Who am I to take this on? Nobody. But I couldn't agree with you more that it is tiresome to bash Bush and not offer a different solution. So, what the heck, I will throw something out to the world. Better than whining, right? And it never hurts to exercise the gray matter on something that effects the lives of Americans every day, especially the ones dying 3 per day on average in the sand a long way from home in a war that should never have been fought.

They deserve for people to really think about what the solution may be.

Thanks for chiming in and stating your feelings.

Hope you do it again,

Love,

Tom


Peace,

Tom

 
At 12:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I applaud you, Tom, as one altogether man that I now not only love but admire. (reread my post-I said 6 out of 10 are against him) I look forward to hearing what people may think is the answer to this sad state of affairs - and I agree, no one deserves our contemplation more than those dieing needlessly in a needless war based on greed.
ALL MY LOVE AC

 
At 12:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay-i reread my 1st post- you're right - I stated it backwards - you belong to the 6 of 10 !!!!! I know, I know, keep up or get out!!!

Love ya, AC

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home