Friday, February 23, 2007

A critical review of “Big Bag of Douche” by Murray

I recently had the pleasure of reading a new work by poet, Murray. In this piece he transcends the trappings of metaphor and alliteration that often plague young writers and delivers a message with clarity and without apology. Stripped bare of ornament, Murray borrows the form of Haiku to deliver a message that grabs the living squarely by the shoulders and looks them in the eye, as well as rattles the bones of dead literati. It says what we all too often long to say but cannot find the courage or the words or pander to the constraints of what is considered an “ordered society.” But, like all revolutionaries, clearly Murray has signed R. Mutt on his urinal and hung it as art in a gallery to make us gasp or giggle in embarrassment or walk out of the gallery in a huff. And though many will debate from this time forward, as they did with Duchamp and the Dadaists, whether or not it is art, no one can deny that it is. And now that it has been done, it is forever in the history books and time can only embrace it as the gospel of innovation.

Though I wouldn’t use the term alliteration, this piece is not without rhythm and repetition. It flows from tongue and teeth and makes one want to close their eyes and soak in its canter:

You are such a dick
You are such total dick
I hate you, you dick

And sit back one more time and say, “read it again, dear. More slowly this time.”

Tom

12 Comments:

At 12:17 PM , Blogger Logophile said...

Tom returns!!
With an insightful review,
thank you for sharing!

 
At 3:31 PM , Blogger Becky said...

uh! i couldn't have said it better myself. truly hilarious.

 
At 4:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Tom. I have missed your wit and insight. This is a marvelous review of a truly worthy piece of art. You -- and Murray -- have taken blogosphere culture to an entirely new level!

 
At 7:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you here again, Tom! I'm still shaking my head at Quilly-Sister's comment...I'm not sure if she's joking, or what! Well, except for the last sentence, which I agree with, but maybe for different reasons. LOL

 
At 9:34 PM , Blogger Jan said...

What an insightful and on-target review! I mean you hit the nail on the head with this one Tom, I couldn't have read a better review of a such a wonderful piece of poetry in the New Yorker! I want more, more, more, more of this creative writer, keep it coming to us Tom!

 
At 10:26 PM , Blogger robkroese said...

Tom, you big jerk. I totally bought this. I was all like, check out the big literature brain on Tom.

Welcome back. :)

When's the next quiz?

 
At 9:06 AM , Blogger Just Tom said...

Hi guys. I really missed you. Sorry I have been gone but didn't want tot jump back in until I was in a position to participate. Blogging is like a relationship-- it's a two way street and you don't get into one unless you are ready to both give and receive.

It's been crazy, more crazy than you know, but I miss having this outlet.

I'll be checking in with you all soon.

Peace,

Tom

 
At 3:39 PM , Blogger Jacob said...

Oh, Crap, Tom. That was brilliant. You write as well as Somewhere Joe. Sorry, Joe. You've got your work cut out for you with this one. I would compare you to Diesel, but he's in a "hole" other category. Nice review. Only one guy wins the "profound yet simple" award, and that's Murray himself. He works with a Ducking Fick.

 
At 5:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are just too funny Tom!

 
At 8:43 AM , Blogger Nessa said...

'Bout time you showed your face again.

 
At 9:25 AM , Blogger robkroese said...

Happy Inappropriate Card Day!

 
At 9:47 AM , Blogger Bazza said...

Good to have you back Tom, a brilliant Haiku from Murray has inspired a brilliant review from yourself, had me laughing for ages.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home