Friday, September 22, 2006

Holy smokes, I survived.

Well, I somehow made it through, with the extraordinary help of my wife, Cindra. At every level she was helpful. From watching our two year old the entire time that I was working on this project (THAT is no small contribution),to telling me exactly what I needed to hear about the proofs, especially the color. I'd be struggling with a color and she'd look at it and say, "It needs just a touch of blue and some extender (like a thinner) to make it more transparent." I'd take her advice and it was spot on every time. What a lucky guy. So, thanks honey. I love you.

Now, I just have to write up all of my syllabi and first weeks assignments and be ready for classes at 8 AM on Monday. I think it's cruel that they make the submission for the faculty show due on the Friday before school starts. Oh well, whattaya do?

To those of you who mentioned the Saudi murals, I might put something together for that... It seems a bit gratuitous in this venue, but be advised that we are working on a business website that I can send to you privately, when completed, if you are still interested. As I will be preparing to go overseas at the end of this term, I may put something together as it is pertinent to my daily life.

Okay, new game: Tom's Challenge. Dut tu duh

The following is a quote from a log. There are three parts to answer:

1. Who is the author
2. Of whom (what people) is he speaking
3. What's the next line

There are no rules, you can google, go to the library or just take an educated guess.

Winners will be posted.

Here's the quote:

"They... brought us parrots and balls of cotton and spears and many other things, which they exchanged for the glass beads and hawk's bells. They willingly traded everything they owned... they were well built, with good bodies and handsome features... they do not bear arms,and do not know them, for I showed them a sword, they took it by the edge and cut themselves out of ignorance. They have no iron. Their spears are made of cane..."

good luck!

18 Comments:

At 8:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kudos, honey! Ya done good, matey! It's a beautiful finished piece, hanging at the wall at
school...we'll get a pic out soon.

I'm darned steamed that I can't play the challenge! I just read it, blurted out the answer(s) and Tom said I am disqualified because I know the "stuff" he knows. Well, if that isn't just dumb.

I don't get to have any fun around here.

 
At 9:09 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

Hey, don't thay have disqualifiers all the time in contests if you work for the company putting it on or are related or something? Just trying to do things right. Besides, we know each other too well. Sorry, babe. You're challenged enough putting up with me to participate in Tom's Challenge.

 
At 9:50 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Tom, this is too easy. Check your email.

 
At 10:00 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Yep -- knew I recognized it. It is in our fifth grade textbooks. Upsets the kids big time. They want to know why they were fed all that "hero" crap in 1st through 4th grade.

As one young man exclaimed last year, "What else are they lying to us about?!"

 
At 10:14 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

I checked my e-mail but haven't seen anything yet. Glad that it's in your 5th grade text book. that's a far cry from what was in my 5th grade textbook those many moons ago. Glad to see that things are progressing.

The next one will be harder but I want to move up by degrees so that it will be fun for all, not just end up being for extreme bookworms.

Good Job! you will make this "challenging."

T

P.S Cindra just told me that it came to her e-mail address. I don't think my blog is set up for e-mail. Cindra says she'll get that set up for me. Cheers

 
At 12:48 PM , Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

I too went to school when we were taught that he was a hero. Today the school kids get to learn the gory 'real' story. Too bad, that in too many cases, there IS another story - and it is a gory real one.

So glad you are finding time to blog, as well. I really enjoy your site. xoxoxo

 
At 4:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, color me stupid... but who 'he" are we talking about? I honestly don't know.

 
At 4:53 PM , Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

Brookie, think (blank) sailed the ocean blue.

 
At 4:54 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

Okay, jackie O, are you saying that you are submitting an answer? Your hint makes it clear that you know at least one of the three questions. Just go to contact on my blog and use that e-mail to submit (I failed to put that in the challenge instructions, but it's my first attempt). I think after I get your response I will post the resutls as I have another, slightly more difficult but related challenge next. I'm also thinking about adding prizes, so stay tuned!

Sis, I can't reveal anything until the challenge is over, so all will be revealed soon.

Cheers, Tom

 
At 5:00 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

Hey, no helping! Well, at least it's very honest if you're doing it in the comments. So far our winner is Quilldancer who got all three (almost as soon as I finished typing and publishing), I'm assuming that her sister, Jackie, is second and helping her daughter get at least one of three questions! This is true nepotism!

Love you guys. Tom

 
At 6:33 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Can we win? We're all family. If your wife can't win then surely her immediate relatives are out? I'd suggest that she divorce you so I can play, but I have a suspicion that it wouldn't endear me to either of you, and might actually lessen my chances of ever winning.

 
At 6:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

AQ- Read, "Lies My Teacher Told Me" and then you can tell your kids all about the other lies, too.

 
At 6:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,

Yeah, I suppose you are right. This time. I don't think there is an article you've read, or an NPR interview you've heard that you haven't reiterated, and same from my end...so, I guess we do know a lot of the same stuff.

Smooooooch!

 
At 6:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, ma. It's worse than you can imagine. I'll tell you more when the answer is out there. It's horrific and you should read his diary.

Last year I kept my kids home from school on that "holiday", and Beki's too, and taught them the real story.

 
At 7:35 PM , Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

I am soooo blond! Sorry about giving hint to Brookie...I should have emailed her.

Then I sent a comment with the answers (you said to go to the comment) and it posted on here...and I realized you must have said email it! I deleted it quickly, you didn't see it did you?
THEN I went back to your blog to figure out where to send it....and finally decided it had to be that little envelope. OMG. THEN I had to back out of your blog and dial in again to get my mail to find your address!!! I MAY have finally sent it to the right place!!

 
At 7:40 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

No Worries all. There is exactly four people having this discussion, all related and one that is disqualified. Not much formaility to this game. It's a very humble starting point and I hope to make it bigger with time as things grow. Love to all. I'm off to ake the rounds to other blogsites. T

 
At 8:29 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Jackie -- that blond is dye. You're supposed to soak your hair in it, not your brains!

 
At 10:30 PM , Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

Sister Quilly, maybe it soaked in after using for, hmmmmmm, about 45 years! Actually, I'm brain dead from bloggin'! I can barely keep up reading individual posts per relative - and now several of you have several! And then you all have friends...that begin to sound interesting and I have to pop in there, and then they have friends...that begin to sound (well, you get the picture).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home