Saturday, September 23, 2006

Tom' s Challenge #2





This one is in the same vein, so we are following a bit of thread here and not too much more difficult than the last one. Here are the questions three:

1. Who is the author
2. Of whom (what people) is he speaking
3. what year was this written (closest wins)

(all spellings and grammar are shown exactly as in the original quote)

“During our short stay in this Sound I have observed that this Second Visit of ours hath not mended the morals of the Natives of either sex, the women of this Country I always looked upon to be more chaste than the generality of Indian Women, whatever favours a few of them might have granted to the Crew of the (ship’s name) it was generally done in a private manner and without the men seeming to intrest themselves in it, but now we find the men are the chief promoters of this vice and for a spikenail or any other thing they value will oblige (d) their Wives and Daughters to prostitute themselves whether they will or no and that not with the privacy decency seems to require, such are the consequences of commerce with the Europeans and what is still more our Shame civilized Christians, we debauch their morals already too prone to the vice and interduce among them wants and perhaps diseases which they never before knew and which serve only to disturb that happy tranquility they and their fore Fathers had injoyed. If any one denies the truth of this assertion let him tell me what the Natives of the whole extent of America have gained by the commerce they have had with Europeans.”

Answer by using the e-mail found in my profile (click on the word “more” at the end of my little description below the picture of Cindra and I at the top right of the page).

Good luck!

19 Comments:

At 12:21 AM , Blogger Bazza said...

Can't wait Tom!

 
At 8:54 AM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

I like the graphic -- did you make it? And I've posted an invitation to your challenge on my blog, so a few of my friends may come this way.

 
At 10:53 AM , Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

Great graphics, Tom. You are able to do anything! Talented boy!

 
At 11:25 AM , Blogger Just Tom said...

Yeah, well when you are graphic designer it's easy to whip something up for yourself and fun, too! No pressure from sociopathic customers!

 
At 11:57 AM , Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

Clicking on your email after going to 'more', did not let me email you. I emailed your family address. Have a great day. xoxoxo

 
At 12:06 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

Sorry, "more" brings up my complete profile. On the left side of my prfile it says "e-mail." I guess I didn't make that clear. Sorry.

Tom

(I'll get it one of these tries!)

 
At 12:22 PM , Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

You did make it clear, Tom, and I tried it again now. Maybe the 'blog' biggies are having problems (can't be me) but it just won't bring up anything for me.

 
At 12:42 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

Hmmm. because I did just have someone whom I have never had contact before submit an answer without any difficulties. I'll try e-mailing myself and see if it works for me. be right back...

 
At 12:47 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

I just tried it and it went straight through. Anyway, use the tomandcindra@comcast.net for your answer. sorry for your troubles. Tom

 
At 12:59 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

I tried it -- worked fine -- but I have no answer to submit. This one isn't just kickig about in my head. I just came home from church to change and I'm running off to my classroom, so I'll have to wait until later. I know who the explorer was, though I realize the excerpt probably isn't from his own journal.

 
At 1:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just tried it again - I give up. "Microsoft Offi" (in orange) flashes onto my tool bar on bottom of page - but is immediately gone leaving no email page. Maybe something with my computer. Thanks anyway. Good luck.

 
At 1:22 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

Jackie, just e-mail me at tomandcindra@comcast.net. Just use whatever e-mail you normally use.

Peace, Tom

 
At 2:07 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Yep, Jackie -- it is something with your computer. It thinks Microsoft Office is your default email. I don't know how to change that -- ask one of your computer savvy kiddies.

 
At 2:31 PM , Blogger Doug The Una said...

I have no idea, but is the idea to post an answer or email you with one?

 
At 2:45 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

You e-mail in the answer so that others can't see. You will find my e-mail under my profile, which is under the word "more" in the "about me section" under the upper right photo of my wife and I. My wife says she's going to make a more conspicuous link that say "contact me" on the main page for future Challenges as you are not alone in having this question. Thanks for dropping in!

Tom


Cheers,

Tom

 
At 2:46 PM , Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

Okay, I think the problem is fixed. Brookie read Auntie Charlene's note in here - and just called me and told me where to go change my settings so that my computer knows what I use for my email. Thank you one and all.

 
At 4:43 PM , Blogger Just Tom said...

The new e-mail link is up. We do have an all out winner, however there is still room for someone to win second and third place. At this point, second place could still go to someone who gets 2 out of 3 correct or the next person to get all three correct (as they would be the second person to get all three). I will collect up more answers and close the game out at noon tomorrow, Pacific Standard Time. After which I will make the announcements. Best of Luck and thanks for playing!

Tom

 
At 7:19 PM , Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Uncle! I have wasted far too much of today working on this! Pft!

 
At 9:15 PM , Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

CB, I LOVE your 'pft' all the time! I can just hear you. ROTFL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home